Sunday 20 May 2012

Imagine the door ajar...

...Inside is the murky interior of my cave-like imagination. Bats, spiders, a few skeletons. That sort of thing. I don’t advise you to come in, but as I’ve been told by my much more worldly-wise peers at The Rude Mechanical Theatre Company, it’s the thing I must let you do. That is, to blog. (Sounds a little too like ‘blag’, but never mind.) It’s all in the interest of promoting the Rudes’ brand. So, brave it. Please! (Note the desperate pleading.)

You will see around you bits of shell, the remnants of previous hatchings, now flown off into the world. The most recent being ‘Who Saw Marjory Daw?’ Currently it’s still in the vicinity, pecking away at the memories (or should I say mammaries?) of our extraordinary actors, who, like the mythical pelican feed it with blood from their own breasts. God! That’s a disgusting metaphor! But in fact an actual legend (if not fact?) & rather haunting if you think about. The point is it recognises exactly where it is going to find strength to face an average Rudes’ audience (and they are no pushovers). So at least for the moment it hasn’t dropped stone dead out of the sky, or fluttered off like a wimp to the graveyard of minor playwrights, but rather stands a more than decent chance of being quite good. Hopefully after another three weeks of feeding by - or should I say ‘on’? - the team, it might even flourish into something...quite... beautiful!

Notice I haven’t yet given you the lurid details of how it was conceived, nor indeed anything of its features. I don’t want to spoil the fun on the day, but ‘what I will say’ (as the politicians trot out when they actually mean they’re not saying anything) is this: it is of a darker and more swarthy hue this time. Shall we say, the blacker edge of comedy – and Fosca is going to make an appearance. Some of you will know him. He’s the snide and somewhat uncooperative Death figure from Mediaeval Naples who occasionally gatecrashes our performances. But as always love and hope will triumph.

I guess, given the extended metaphor, that this should have been a tweet not a blog.

There! I was right! It should definitely be ‘blag!

No comments:

Post a Comment